Position: Communications Manager
Location: Los Angeles, California
Date: December 5, 2017 (closes January 8, 2018)
About A New Way of Life:
A New Way of Life Reentry Project (ANWOL) advances multi-dimensional solutions to the effects of incarceration:
- We provide housing and support to formerly incarcerated women for successful community reentry, family reunification and individual healing.
- We work to restore the civil rights of formerly incarcerated people.
- We empower, organize and mobilize formerly incarcerated people as advocates for social change and personal transformation.
Since ANWOL’s founding in 1998, more than 1,000 women and children have found safety and support in our safe homes. Over 250 women have been reunited with their children. Through our household goods distribution center, more than 3,500 formerly homeless individuals have been able to acquire items needed to furnish their own residences. Since its inception in 2007, our legal department has provided pro bono services for over 2,500 formerly incarcerated individuals. Those services have helped enhance job opportunities by expunging criminal records and offering access to occupational licenses. As a result of our leadership building activities, hundreds more have been educated and empowered to speak in advocacy around issues that directly affect their lives.
The Communications Manager will join ANWOL’s Management Team and will serve as ANWOL’s senior communications staff, and will expand and deepen ANWOL’s Just Us Voices project. The Communications Manager will manage the creation, organization and execution of internal and external public relations strategies, with the goal of acquiring more advanced recognition in the market, promoting products and establishing leadership throughout the industry. The Communications Manager will oversee brand integration and work to define, coordinate and execute media relations strategies, serving as a key information source for all media contacts. They will work as an integrated member of our Management team to creatively promote a positive public image of A New Way of Life Re-Entry Project’s products and services.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as the lead on ANWOL’s Just Us Voices project, developing and managing content, marketing, vendors, internal communication, and the project’s Advisory Committee.
- Grow and manage the media list, build targeted media relationships with journalists in national, regional, and local media outlets.
- Prepare and update media
- Develop compelling story
- Pitch stories to both national and local
- Write clear and compelling press releases and by-lined
- Field media questions and pitch stories to the media
- Oversee day-to-day management of websites and social media
- Manage and grow social media presence for JUV and ANWOL
- Lead the research, planning, and implementation of the longer-term development of the sites and social media, and ensure they continue to achieve their
- Create social media marketing objectives and goals
- Coordinate the production of all internal and external communications, publications, and materials maintaining consistency in content, appearance and This includes donor communications, proposals, and educational materials.
- Represent ANWOL in various public roles including media relations, legislative testimony, and presentations.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a “style” in all ANWOL communications.
- Develop, implement, and maintain, in collaboration with external consultants as required, a strong ANWOL visual
- Develop and maintain photo library for use across a range of communication forms.
- Design production materials and promote ANWOL
- Familiarity with mass incarceration and commitment to social and racial justice.
- Bachelor’s degree or 3-5 years experience in Communications, Public Relations or related field.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Possess functional knowledge and/or personal experience with
- Extremely high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project Management).Knowledge of Prezi and Adobe
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects
- Must be a confident communicator and
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills, including ability to present concepts
- Superior project management and time management
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Competitive starting salary based on experience, life insurance, and availability of medical, dental and vision benefits.
Terms of Employment:
Candidate must live in the Los Angeles region, and have regular use of a personal vehicle; some travel required. Apply by sending cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Formerly incarcerated/convicted individuals are encouraged to apply